Monday, June 02, 2008

i'm finished

after nearly 3 years during which my senthamizh vocabulary grew by a smidgen, i am done with 'ponniyin selvan' [links to a review of the english version]. i rushed through the first 3 parts like an express train heading towards central but like the very same train hitting the maze of tracks at basin bridge, i slowed to a crawl for the last 2 parts. a small part of reading this was for gimmick ("hey look i am reading a tamil book"). but i started reading it because it is a historical retelling set in my own tamilnadu and is told in a language i love. a language that i am still not fluent enough to write in..hence this post in the step-mom tongue.

my next tamil book is a collection of crime stories by sujata. with any luck, you can expect a post in the summer of 2010

6 comments:

Krishna Kumaraswamy said...

I remember trying the same thing about 7 or 8 years ago, but stopped after moving to the US. Maybe be your post will be inspiration enough for me to try finding the books.

catcharun said...

that was a quick comment. parts 4 and 5 do drag a bit but once you hit the middle of 5 you can rush through with relative ease

wait, isnt ur 2nd language tamil?? hmm..

Krishna Kumaraswamy said...

hmm.. 2nd language - yes, but its been a long time. I suppose I should start with smaller stories first and then move on for the bigger ones. It has been a really long time since I read anything in tamil.

any place online that I can find the books?

madraskaapi said...

at last :-) congrats da...

i know the magnificence of the book, but i doubt i will ever read it!

catcharun said...

thanks,current...the english version is also supposed to be really good. give that a try if you can

PRS said...

great! my wife is trying to go over the English version... i think she is up to part 4 now!
as for starting to write... just do it. I write to my grandparents and the letter provides them with enough humour/ fun for some time... including my paati's corrections sometimes via chat. good experience.